Lesson 1a - Preflight Planning/Overview
During this lesson, the student/candidate will become familiar with the preparation required before walking out to the flight line. This includes weather preparation, understanding weather services, go/no decision, required documents for the pilot.
Pre-Solo pilot (Student Pilot and Transition Pilots): §61.87(i)(1)
Private Pilot Test Candidate: PTS Area of Operation IA, IB
- Collecting information required for this flight
- Weather Information systems
- Required Documents in possession of the pilot
When complete, the student will:
- use WX-BRIEF to obtain a weather briefing
- be able to make a go/no-go decision based on weather briefing information
- be able to explain the hazards associated with flight in the vicinity of thunderstorms
- understand the different types of Aviation Weather services, as defined in AC 00-45G
- exhibit knowledge pertaining to required documents when acting as a pilot in command (pilots license, photo ID).
- Register as a user on www.1800wxbrief.com (need email address for username)
- Call 1-800-WX-BRIEF and get a standard VFR weather briefing for a local flight at Front Royal for the hours you plan to be flying.
Next Lesson: 1b -- Aeromedical Factors Discussion
Return to Training Syllabus